To mix and match with destroyed denim cutoffs, favorite jeans, or a soft, loose maxi-skirt…the ultimate piece of festival wear is the versatile T-shirt. Take yours a step further with your own DIY print and some well-placed studding to complement the print. boohoo makes the softest, drapiest, most versatile tees – just perfect for customizing with your own hand-made print. And it’s super-easy to make a #boohooDIY with some sticky foam, soft fabric paint, and some pyramid studs! Here’s how:
T-shirt / piece of cardboard, T-shirt insert, or large cutting board / sticky-back foam / wood block / soft fabric paint (black) / pyramid studs / tray for the paint / ruler or shape tracing plastic / pen / scissors and craft knife / paper towels / pliers / brush (not pictured)
1. Create the tribal stamp. Draw on the back of the sticky-back foam, using a ruler and tracing plastic.
2. Cut out the shape you made.
3. Peel off the backing and affix to the wood block.
4. Slip a large piece of cardboard or T-shirt insert or cutting board into your tee to make it flat.
5. Pour out the fabric paint onto a flat tray, using a brush to spread it evenly.
6. Dab the foam block into the paint, just coating the surface.
7. Stamp the t-shirt in an evenly-spaced pattern, dipping the foam block repeatedly to recover with paint. (I found after awhile it was more accurate to spread paint on the stamp with the brush.)
8. Once you’re done, wipe the stamp down.
9. Create a smaller stamp if you like with 2 layers of foam stuck together, placed onto a small square of foam. Use the smaller design to stamp a smaller motif, leaving a space in the center.
9. Allow to dry flat.
10. Add a pyramid stud in the center of the smaller motif, using pliers to bend down the prongs on the back.
And that’s it! Pair with your favorite festival duds: a pair of amazing boots, cutoffs, and a pretty head-chain to complement your newest printed masterpiece!
To celebrate festival season, boohoo is encouraging their fans to create their own festival-ready outfits. If creativity strikes take a snapshot of your finished creation and Tweet to @boohooUSA or Instagram to @boohooofficial with the hashtag #boohooSWAG and #boohooDIY. This sounds super-fun – can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!!
FTC disclosure: I was gifted a T-shirt and a pack of crafting supplies from boohoo to make my own festival-ready piece. See my Disclosure Policy here.