As you may have seen in my most recent entry for America’s Most Stylish Blogger Competition (I’m getting a little tired of writing that by now;-) All the shameless self-promotion is wearing me down!), I styled the hot pink miniskirt with a DIY band jacket that I made from a jacket I already had in my closet.
No joke! Here’s the DIY:
1. Use a jacket that is a shorter length with a little mandarin collar or similar collar to what you want your final jacket. (A boxy shape and flimsy material for the jacket is best!)
The underside of the pinned edge.
2. Pin under your hemline, using safety pins, to create that cutaway band jacket shape. Iron if you want to create a crisp, sharp edge.
3. Pin shoulder pads inside the shoulders, using safety pins. (I used foam Dritz ones in Large that I got at my local Jo-Anns. Alternatively, you can rip them out of a jacket you already have – but you need them big to create that strong structured shoulder, so double them up if you can!)
4. Sew decorative trim onto the front of you jacket in scalloped curliques. (I just used matching thread and long basting stitches. This took awhile, but wasn’t very difficult.)
5. Optional: If you want, to create more of a “couture-looking” line below the shoulder, take in the sleeve in the upper arm area a little. (By sewing a line inside the sleeve seam line in the upper arm area.) This will make your shoulder pads “pop out” and give it that Balmain-look. Ideally speaking.:-)
PLUS, once you get tired of the look, remove your safety pins and shoulder pads, cut your basting stitches, re-iron your hem and your jacket is back to the way it was! *sigh* Multiple options in the same garment are just so, so lovely.
Carly Multifunctional Cais
woww bravo 🙂
Great DIY! Wish I had more motivation to do stuff like this, lol
Love this! i saw you on some sort of most stylish blogger video, and they said that there was a portland oregon blogger.. so i looked you up cause im from portland oregon, and i LOVE your blog! great job with this jacket, and skirt styling 🙂 come check out my blog!
cool beans! was that dorky of me? jk
loooove balmain jackets, of any kind. love your take! definitely considering revamping one of my fifty plain black blazers haha. i think i might be able to spare one… haha
This is too cute! I featured it on my blog today!