FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, where if you click and make a purchase I receive a small commission. My full Disclosure Policy is here
Winter is upon us here in Portland – and what comes with blustery winds, white flurries, and freezing walkways is cozy, comfy fashion. I’m a big fan of layers and usually am covered up neck to toes at work – and love this season as it presents great opportunity to get creative with the layering of my more lightweight items. Here are a couple pretty pieces that can be rotated into a winter work wardrobe with ease:
1. Choies Polychrome Colorblock Geometric Print Tie Belt Dress, $16.99
2. Modcloth Stargazing Splendor Blazer in Constellations, $89
3. Modcloth Charter School Turtleneck Sweater, $39
4. ASOS Suede Slouchy Shoulder Bag, $50
Well..technically a laptop case…but we’ll just call it a handbag for today’s purposes, yes?
I’m a firm believer in using the possessions you have to utter exhaustion: until they are tattered, destroyed specimens of what they once were. Get good use out of it (until it falls apart!) would be my motto.
My first laptop case is still on its last legs (so I only use that around the house and where no one sees it). I needed a laptop case for the computer I use for work, which is smaller than my personal computer, and which I have to carry to and from work constantly.
I spied this amaaaahzing Renny Drive spotted laptop case by Kate Spade (it’s now sadly sold out everywhere but one does show up from time to time on eBay). It’s professional, chic, feminine, memorable, and goes with just about anything I’m wearing to the office, or casually. I purchased it about a year and a half ago and have been using it ever since to tote around my work computer. It’s such a light color though – that it’s like a grime magnet, and I’ve been stumped on how to clean this nylon laptop case for awhile – because it’s nylon and because it has stiffeners and linings that really shouldn’t be thrown into the washing machine. So..
What is Nylon?
Nylon is a synthetic polymer (and actually was the first commercially successful synthetic thermoplastic polymer – thank you Wikipedia!) Though there are a few different types of nylon, nylon used in clothing and accessories is heat-set in terms of pattern and color, and water-resistant – and can be dyed using acid dyes.
You may have a nylon bag in your closet – or a pair of nylon shoes or an accessory – that gets dingy and defies being cleaned (because hey, it’s nylon). I’ve discovered the most awesome trick for getting those grungy nylon accessories sparkling again.
How to Clean a Nylon Handbag (or How to Clean Nylon in general)
Everywhere I looked on how to clean nylon recommended either throwing it in the washing machine with a milk liquid detergent, or spot-clean with liquid soap and water. Nope and nope – I found these methods useless for the amount of dirt on my laptop case. (Plus you should never put a handbag with linings or stiff sides into the washing machine – submerging in water and agitating could permanently damage the structure of the bag.) Here’s the top-secret, ONLY way to clean a nylon accessory and get it good as new:
dirty nylon item // Kiwi Sport heavy duty sneaker cleaner for light-colored sneakers // rag // small amount of water (not pictured)
How to clean your nylon accessory with Kiwi Sport sneaker cleaner:
1. Squeeze a generous amount of sneaker cleaner onto a dirty area, using the bristle brush of the applicator to scrub the cleaner into the nylon weave in a circular motion.
2. Wait a few minutes to let the cleaner penetrate. Use a clean rag to buff the cleaner into the nylon in a circular motion.
3. Dampen your rag with a bit of water, and shammy that cleanser (and the grime) away!
Note: Always do a spot test of the sneaker cleaner on the item before using it in a conspicuous area.
Allow your accessory to dry, et voila!
Your nylon handbag, laptop case, accessory what-have-you…now has a new lease on life!
This method may not work perfectly (and I was left with a few stubborn areas of dirt, especially on the edges of the case), but for a quick, useful solution this can’t be beat!
This post is part of my ongoing affiliate relationship with Shopbop. My FTC Disclosure is here.
This will hopefully be one of my last posts on Chic Steals before everything is moved over to Chic Creative Life…and I can’t wait!
I just wanted to give all of you a heads up about the Shopbop End of Season sale – and some great discounts that can be had exclusively for my readers!
As a Chic Steals (and soon-to-be Chic Creative Life) reader, YOU have access to the sale a full 24 hours ahead of everyone else! Just click on the Shop Now link below!
Above are some key pieces that are on my Fall wishlist (and that can be snapped up for a steal during the sale):
1. STYLEKEEPERS Retro Juliette Pleated Skirt // 2. English Factory Ruffle Sweater // 3. Madewell Treasure Pendant Necklace Set
4. Rebecca Minkoff Handcuff with Chain Bracelet // 5. The Fix Vail Pumps // 6. J.O.A. Tie-Sleeve Sweater
7. Elizabeth + James Obi Ring // 8. Melissa Drop Rain Boots // 9. Rebecca Minkoff Ruffle Muffler Scarf // 10. Baggu Small Canvas Circle Purse
Get in on the sale early starting NOW!
Sale ends FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 29TH at 11:59 PM PDT.
More details about the Shopbop Event of the Season Sale can be found here (will go live Wednesday Sept 27 once the Sale is live for everyone).
FTC Disclosure: This is a paid post in partnership with Nakturnal, with the prize of a $25 ARV gift certificate to the e-tailer Mixology. The content and opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links, where a purchase made after clicking on a link earns me a small commission. My full Disclosure Policy is here.
Hi again, friends!
Things have been super-busy over here at Chic Steals (for good reason – I have a TON of cool announcements on the way!) but I’m popping in briefly to talk about Summer fashion finds – and to offer up a $25 gift certificate to get your shopping started. So let’s go!
Lately I’m crushing on ruffles, layers, sparkles, and LOTS of pink. I don’t know why…it just feels like a girly, feminine summer to me so far, and lots of frilliness and silliness is totally making me happy. With that in mind, I’ve been browsing the Mixology website lately – a mom-and-pop fashion boutique that features awesome brands at affordable prices (right up my alley 😉 and a lot of fun, girly pieces.
Here are a couple of my pretty pink, frilly, sparkly picks for Summer:
1 // Decker Flamenco Top, $29
2 // Curved Modern Hoop Earring, $38
3 // Agile Employee Dress in Milkshakes, $89.99
4 // ASOS Hunky Dory Pom Block Heeled Sandals, $72
5 // BlueStripe Bow Waist Ruffle Skirt, $22.99
6 // Get it Right Black Halter One-Piece Swimsuit, $49
7 // Oscar Daniel Triangle Choker, $48
8 // Valentine Ruffle Heart-Shape Bustier Shift Dress, $70.40
9 // Skinnydip Cateye Sunglasses in Pink Velvet, $48
10 // Sparkle Star Field In the Universe Tote Bag, $20 (designed by me!!)
Mixology has some great, affordable picks (like that hot pink ruffled flamenco top and triangle choker necklace above, that went straight onto my wishlist). And I have a $25 gift certificate for one lucky Chic Steals reader to get a head start on your Summer shopping there!
WIN A $25 GIFT CERTIFICATE – HOW TO ENTER
- (Required) Leave a comment on this post telling me what your fashion crush is for this Summer. [one entry allowed per unique email address]
- (Optional) Share a link to this post on any of your social networks (like Facebook or Twitter) and comment back on this post with the link. That comment will earn you 1 more entry. [one extra entry allowed per unique link to live social media post]
- (Optional) Share this giveaway with a friend and ask them to comment on this post with your email address in the comment. This will earn 1 entry for you, and 1 entry for your friend. [one extra entry for your unique email address per unique friend’s email address]
Winner will be chosen at random from comments on this post.
The giveaway is open from now until July 7, 11:59PM PDT.
*Please note: Mixology offers $8.99 flat rate shipping for all orders under $75, free shipping for orders above $75 for the contiguous 48 United States. All international shipping will be shipped through USPS. The $25 gift certificate can be used for merchandise only and does not cover shipping costs or International customs fees for orders.
The first huge sale of 2017 is live on Shopbop. com – where you can save BIG and score some amazing deals on brand-name and fashion-forward merchandise. And yes, every order gets 20% off or more with code EVENT17!
Some great transition pieces for a Spring vacay as the weather warms up and we head into Summer:
1. South Parade Palm Trees Tee, $46 // 2. J.O.A. Stripe Wrap Skirt, $75 // 3. MM6 Hobo Bag, $190
4. Sam Edelman Gates Fringe Sandals, $90 // 5. Shashi Starburst Luna Bracelet, $35 // 6. The Fifth Label Chelsea T-Shirt Dress, $78
7. Club Monaco Amber Shorts, $89.50 // 8. Fame and Partners Cenit Off Shoulder Top, $38.70
9. TKEES Alex Pom Slides, $90 // 10. Rebecca Minkoff Savannah Pom Pom Chandelier Earrings, $58
The Sale is now LIVE – one day early for you guys as Chic Steals readers! 😀
The Event of the Season sales is open now until Friday, 4/14, at 11:59 PM PST. Some brands are excluded from the sale. See here for a full list of excluded brands.
Spring is on its way – and already 2017 is quite reminiscent of 2016 it seems.
Crisp deconstructed shirting! Feminine bows! Lace layers! Low, chunky heels! I for one am seeing a LOT of DIY possibilities in all the button-down shirt-inspired fashions. How about you?
Here are some new neat items for Spring 2017 that have caught my eye as top picks for the season:
Top Fashion Picks for Spring 2017 from Shopbop
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5
6 // 7 // 8 // 9
10 // 11 // 12 // 13 // 14