As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more conscious of not only what I put in my body (favoring organic, responsibly-produced, ethically-farmed, and natural products whenever possible)…but also what I put on my body. The skin being the largest organ means that what it absorbs truly makes a difference in not only how you feel, but also the toxic load placed on your entire system. My theory is that the less toxins, chemicals, and endocrine disrupters I use…the better. Here are a few #AllNaturalStyleSecrets that I use in my daily routine and that have produced amazing results:
1. Coconut Oil – Jumping on the bandwagon, coconut oil is something I’ve added to my bathroom cabinet that I’ve found does so much more than just moisturize. Besides being great for cracked heels (mixed with turmeric – see below), it also mends split ends, is a great deep-conditioning hair treatment, heals burns, works as a shaving cream, and helps chapped lips. It’s such a workhorse – and I always smell like coconut shrimp after applying.
2. Silicone Cups for Cupping – I’ve recently discovered cupping and I am addicted! Paired with an oil (like the Seventh Generation Skin Serum, below), the cups help loosen cellulite deposits, improve lymphatic flow, and work as a deep tissue massage. I’ve been using them on my thighs and amazingly they are getting firmer and less dimply with continued use! (I bought a 3-cup set that has 3 different-sized cup on Ebay – though I find that I only use the large and the medium size for my legs.)
3. Seventh Generation Skin Serum – A pure, plant-based serum that helps control the oiliness of my face, this product works to balance out skin tone with oat, argan & zi cao oils. I use it right after washing my face and before my moisturizer – and sometimes even in place of a moisturizer on hot days! I also use it as as mild makeup remover: the oils dissolve and wash away makeup and impurities easily and naturally. Available exclusively at Walgreens, there are a number of different formulations for different skin types (and you can get a $3 coupon for your favorite formula here!)
4. Filtered Water – Though it seems obvious, water is a big component of my daily beauty routine. It’s not that I love the taste per se – it just makes me feel the best – so that’s what I drink, day in, day out. I dislike mineral water, so room-temperature filtered water, at least 48 oz. per day – is what I consume. And the more water I drink, the more glowy my skin is, so it’s a win-win!
5. DHC Mild Soap – I’ve been washing my face with soap in the mornings for years – and I use just the tiniest amount, enough to clean away sweat and grime that have accumulated throughout the night, but not too much that I’m washing away essential skin oils that are actually good for my face! My favorite is this DHC Mild Soap – it’s made from a mixture of olive oil and honey, and leaves my slightly oily skin fresh and soft, but not stripped or dry. And one bar lasts forever – my last one took more than a year for me to use up!
6. Powdered Turmeric – One of the best anti-inflammatories out there, powdered turmeric is so good taken as a teaspoonful in water once daily. I also mix a tiny (tiny!) amount in with my moisturizer or foundation to create a beautiful golden glow – even better than a fake tan. 🙂
7. Aveda Comforting Tea – I fell in love with this tea which they serve at my regular hair salon in the waiting room: it’s such an unusual blend of licorice and peppermint. It’s soothing, herbal-sweet with nothing added to it, and has this unusual licorice taste that lingers in the mouth once you swallow. It’s my once-a-week indulgence.
Are there any natural beauty products that have changed your routine for the better?
FTC Disclosure: I received a free sample of this product from Lucky and Seventh Generation for use in connection with this blog. The above opinions are my own. I have received no other compensation for this post. Read my full Disclosure Policy here.
These all sound amazing!! I love that you use so many natural products and still really want to try the deodorant recipe you posted a while back!
P.S. You look so beautiful in that photo!
Adventures in Dressmaking recently posted…Just made a black maxi dress–can it work for fall?
Thank you Suzannah! I’ve been trying to incorporate more natural products into my beauty routine – I still can’t switch over *completely* but I figure, the more the better. I finally used up my deodorant that I made in February and now have to make another batch. 🙂 Thanks so much for your kind words!