Yes, another project I submitted for Style Sample Magazine and New York Design Shop’s Create Couture Challenge back in early August. I’ll get all of these posted if it kills me!!!
*Mocha Suedette Fringe
*Mini Gold Pyramid Studs
*Large Gold Pyramid Studs
*faux suede or leather strappy sandals (American Eagle Tomahawk Beaded Sandals from Payless)
[prep: remove any embellishments from shoes first]
1. Push studs into the straps of the shoes, using pliers to bend the prongs over on the underside. If you have trouble pushing the studs through the shoe material, an awl can be helpful to punch holes first. You can also use small pieces of moleskin on the inside of the shoes if any prongs scratch your feet when you are wearing them.
2. Measure length of fringe needed by wrapping it around top of sandals. Cut.
3. Apply a thin strip of leather glue to the tops of the sandals, and press the fringe into it. Allow to dry.
And that’s it!
Gladiatrix, boho, SoCal…however you say it, these sandals are FAB!
~If you liked this post, please share it!~
by Carly J. Cais, Fashion Designer & ChicSteals blog
As a designer – my line is RIVETED Clothing & Accessories
– I’ve developed an eye for style over the years…and right along with it, a nose for a bargain. Half the fun of fashion is looking fabulous without needing to declare bankruptcy. Each week, I showcase hot designer-style steals (each for $100 or, in most cases, for much, much less)…along with one splurge-worthy item.
This Spring has seen the comeback of the breezy California Hippie chic from the 70’s with flirty, fun frocks that are feminine, relaxed, and comfortable. To take the look from sweltering city streets to the beach, simply switch out the accessories! Here are some laid-back and lovely bohemian picks guaranteed to bring on the Flower Power:
- ANKLE-LENGTH SUNDRESS In the harsh, sundrenched deserts of the world, those in the know stay protected in long, loose garments; the ankle-length of this sweet cotton maxidress will not only keep you cool, it’s also quite forgiving. The contrast of the earthy brown Indian-inspired pattern along the hem makes this frock pair perfectly with neon bright accessories for days when you’re feeling flamboyant, or with wood or shell jewelry for a more natural look. Ward off an early morning chill with a cotton cardi or denim jacket until it’s high noon…when it’s all about skin and flowing locks. Moorea ankle-length sundress – $50 at Roxy.com.
- STRAPPY SANDALS Inspired by Kate Hudson’s breezy chic style, the strappy flat is a must. These vegan, metallic two-tone braided sandals easily dress up or down, and work with almost any color or print. They’re on sale for $13 at Payless.com (which is cheap in price but surprisingly not so on quality and wearability), so why not buy a backup pair?
- GINORMOUS BAG With all the stuff a gal-on-the-go needs to tote around these days, size matters. This fun turquoise print Mosaic Wood Bead tote from Alloy is roomy enough to accommodate all the additional warm weather acoutrements – oversized aviators, paraben-free sunscreen, flavored water, journal, solid perfume…and the $30 price is also nice.
- CHUNKY BANGLES This season, the larger your accessories, the better, and when it comes to bangles, pile ’em on with abandon (if you’re having trouble raising your arm, you’re in the right ballpark). Mix and match like a pro by pairing metals with naturals, patterns with solids, and thin with thick to create a pleasing group adorning your wrists. An affordable (between $16-$30 each) nature-inspired trio to try: wide wooden Copacabana bangles, thin gold Bamboo bangles; handpainted metallic bangle.
- STYLISH SCARF Lindsay & Jessica are almost never without a lightweight scarf looped around their necks, and with good reason: it’s a chic trend that lends itself perfectly to Cali cool. In juicy orange and priced at $10, this one from Forever 21 will spice up whatever you’ve got on without taking the oomph out of your bank account.
- SPLURGE OF THE WEEK: CHARMING, MULTI-CHAIN NECKLACE Whether the finishing touch to a gauzy v-neck cotton dress…or glimmering at the neck of a tailored white shirt at the office, NYC cult-fave Wendy Mink’s eye-catching array of gold pendants, 22k gold vermeil, and smoky quartz beautifully balances size, silhouette and a mix of materials. On sale at Bluefly for $250 (original price $417), it’s a stylish steal.
If there are any high-priced pieces you’d like me to find similar, less costly versions of, please email me at *carlyjcais AT riveted-clothing.com*. Til next week, fellow bargain-hunters!
– Carly J. Cais, Riveted Clothing & Accessories and the ChicSteals blog
As posted on FashionTribes.com