Spring is almost sprung – and what better way to usher out those Winter blahs than with beautiful pops of color? Add a bright center to a faux stingray textured clutch with Tulip Neon 3D Paints from i Love to Create and add a dose of fun into your evening (or prom!) accessories. (Plus it creates the look of elegant stingray skin – without any of the unsustainability and cruelty of the shagreen industry.) Get the look with a clear conscience? Sign me up! Here’s how:
box-shaped clutch / pink and orange paint (and black paint, if your clutch is not black) / Tulip Dimensional Mini 3 Packs with neon orange and hot pink** / Tulip Dimensional 3D Paint in Black / paintbrush / matte acrylic sealant (optional, not pictured)
1. If your clutch is a different color than the 3D Paints, you’ll have to paint it to match. (Mine was black so I didn’t need to paint the main color.) For the center diamond shape (that is actually from the back of the stingray, called the crown or eye), instead of the white that you would find in nature, I chose to do a hot pink with an orange center. Add some paint in an elongated marquise shape and allow to dry.
2. Start in the very center, dabbing the orange 3D Neon Paint in a diamond-shaped marquise. (The bubbles of paint don’t have to be touching.)
3. Add dots of Hot Pink paint around the orange dots.
4. Then, add black dots of paint, starting in the center and covering the front of the clutch. Allow to dry so you can turn it on its side and cover the sides of the clutch too. Allow to dry 72 hours.
5. (Optional, not pictured) If you find your clutch feels sticky even after 72 hours drying time, spray with a thin coat of matte acrylic sealant.
And that’s it!
And easy upgrade to a plain clutch. It looks so much more expensive with this textured coating on it! (I first conceived of this while making my DIY Christian Louboutin for Rodarte Super-Spiked Heels back in 2009…I used dimensional paint to create a faux glittery platform to the heels, and was truly taken with the ease and faux luxury this paint creates.)
Try your own version in any color your heart desires – Tulip 3D Paints come in a variety of fun neon colors to play with.**Pick up these exclusive products at your local Michaels Arts & Crafts store. For those folks without a Michaels store in their area, you can order the products at iLoveToCreate.com. iLoveToCreate.com is currently offering free shipping on any neon Tulip product for the month of February when you use coupon code NeonFEB (ends February 28th).
Also, see what other bloggers’ Tulip neon creations below:
Check out iLovetoCreate on:
FTC Disclosure: This post was part of a paid campaign with BluePrint Social and Tulip. I received supplies from Tulip to create the above tutorial. My opinions above are my own. To read my full Disclosure Policy, click here.