Saturday I made some DIY Spooky Pictures for the wall, today I want to finish up my mantelpiece decorations with a Owl Picture in the center with its own DIY Spiderwebby Frame. Use some glow-in-the-dark decoupage to add a spooky glowing touch! Here’s how:
owl paper cut-out (I used Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage Paper Cut-Outs) / black craft foam / white cardboard / scissors / decoupage medium (I used Martha Stewart Decoupage Glow-in-the-Dark Finish) / paintbrush / something to protect your work surface / pen / plastic baggie / silver paint (I used Martha Stewart Crafts paint in Pure Platinum) / glue gun & gluesticks / box cutter (optional)
1. Place the own cut-out on top of the black foam and trace around it to make an oval frame-shape.
2. Cut out.
3. Place the owl on the frame again and sketch a smaller oval around the owl.
4. Cut out, using a box cutter as necessary.
5. Spread some decoupage medium on the cardboard and glue the owl cut-out down.
6. Follow up with 3 coats of decoupage, drying in between each coat.
7. Lay the black frame on some newspapers.
8. Pour some paint into a plastic baggie, and snip off one corner.
9. Squeeze paint onto the black frame in a scribbly, spiderwebby fashion. Allow to dry.
10. Glue the dried cardboard to the back of the frame – you may have to trim the edges of the cardboard so they don’t stick out.
And that’s it! These decorations provide a great “frame” for your mantelpiece…and for a large spooky DIY Halloween-themed picture (which I’ll be providing a tutorial for tomorrow!)
Want more Halloween projects? Try Saturday’s project, DIY Eyeball Garland and Glowing Skull Stantions, or some DIY Decoupaged Cut-Out Pictures, or some earlier projects like DIY Stenciled Pumpkins, or the DIY Spooky Gothic Eyeball Brooch.
Stay tuned for the final Halloween DIY coming up tomorrow!
FTC Disclosure: I received a box of craft supplies from Martha Stewart Crafts for a paid post (posted here). This post was not part of the paid campaign, and I was not compensated for this post. All opinions above are my own. For my full Disclosure Policy, click here